Monday, July 22, 2013

Ups and downs

I can't believe it's been over a month since Elsie has been home. She's such a good-natured baby, and now that we've all settled into a routine at home, taking care of her is a piece of cake. We've started venturing out of our protective bubble just a little, making a few trips to Grandpa Joel's house and Auntie Mona's house, in additional to our various doctor appointments.

Speaking of doctor appointments . . . we had an eye check-up last week at Primary's. Turns out that little missie needs glasses. Like now. I mean, I knew she'd need glasses eventually, but I was thinking more along the lines of several years from now. Elsie has "Anisometropia", or unequal focus of the eyes. One of her eyes is not as focused as the other, and if left untreated, would develop into a lazy eye. Basically, her brain would stop seeing out of the weaker eye. So we got to order some little tiny glasses. I have to admit, I was less than thrilled that she needs glasses so soon, but I'm glad that the problem was caught so early, and hopefully the glasses will prevent any further problems. She's going to be adorable with glasses, I'm pretty excited for them to come in the next 5-10 business days.

We had a follow-up with the gastroenterologist, just to check on her G tube. It was pretty quick and easy; he said the site looks great and to keep doing what we're doing. She'll have another follow-up appointment in August.

Elsie is doing great with no oxygen while she's awake, but she still needs it on while she's sleeping. Hopefully in a few more weeks she'll be able to be completely off the 02. That would be heavenly for me; one less cord that she's attached to, and one less bulky item for us to take with us wherever she goes.

Feedings . . . well, feedings have pretty much gone down the tube, no pun intended, ha ha ha. Elsie has not taken any feedings by mouth for a few weeks. Her gag reflex has become so sensitive that she gags severely on anything that is placed in her mouth, be it bottle, breast, or binky. The vomiting that the pediatrician thought might be a stomach bug? Turns out that she just has really bad spit up now. She spits up with regularity multiple times a day. Elsie didn't have these problems before the G tube was placed, and I'm almost regretting that we decided to get it in the first place. I know, I know, I was whining every day because she'd been in the hospital for so long, and we thought that the G tube would be a temporary thing to help her along with her nutrition so that she could leave the hospital more quickly. In hindsight, I almost wish that we would have given her another week or two to try to get up to full oral feedings on her own, and not done the G tube. Too late now! Now, instead of me whining about my baby being in the hospital, you get to hear me whine about this. Never satisfied, am I?

Sorry that you have to listen to my rants. We are seeing a feeding therapist this week, and hopefully we can get back on track soon.

In order to end on a positive note, I have some super cute pictures.

Bath time!


Love those baby blues!

Elsie and her cute cousin Annabeth

They have no choice, their parents are forcing them to be best friends

Sisters and dolly snuggling in bed :)

5 comments:

  1. I love that you are keeping us all updated on everything.
    I know that it is kind of sad, but my niece had the same problem with her eyes. Every now and again she has to where an eye patch with a tiny hole in it. It forces the weaker eye to work. I always thought that she was really cute with her glasses. I think if they had caught it sooner that she would not be having these issues so with any luck catching it this soon with benefit Elsie.
    I'm really sorry that the feeding has became such a pain. I will prey specifically for that issue for you. I know that I don't completely understand everything that you are going through, but I am always here to listen.
    Continue to keep posting these adorable pictures and videos of those beautiful girls. I am so excited that they are both progressing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looked up Elsie's eye thing, and if it makes you feel any better, Julie and Courtnie had a variation of the same thing (though, they named it other things), and I'm 99% sure Kate is going to need glasses in the next couple of months or so, too. Courtnie had to get them when she was 18 months and had to do lots of patching. Our littles will be glasses twins ;).

    Your girls are beautiful of course... Thanks for the updates, Clark still asks me about baby Elsie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked up Elsie's eye thing, and if it makes you feel any better, Julie and Courtnie had a variation of the same thing (though, they named it other things), and I'm 99% sure Kate is going to need glasses in the next couple of months or so, too. Courtnie had to get them when she was 18 months and had to do lots of patching. Our littles will be glasses twins ;).

    Your girls are beautiful of course... Thanks for the updates, Clark still asks me about baby Elsie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you really are trying to copy our family, aren't you :-) Cassidy had the same thing but untreated (bad mom) turned into lazy eye. Every now and again I see it come back... Oh wait, no that's just her rolling her eyes, my bad. Thanks for posting hose freaking adorable pictures! She is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I am whiney too so keep it up will ya. :)

    ReplyDelete